Posts tagged FWICE
Shooting had come to a halt, courtesy the impasse between them and their Mumbai counterparts
Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; May 22, 2013)
The Lavasa shoot of Salman Khan-starrer Mental, which had come to a grinding halt last month, will finally resume next week, all thanks to Salman.
Filming at the hill city had come to a standstill because of the impasse between action artistes from Mumbai and those from Chennai and Hyderabad over what the southern fighters perceived as inadequate representation and pay vis-à-vis their Bollywood counterparts. The disgruntled artistes had approached FEFSI (Film Employees’ Federation of South India) but even that hadn’t helped, and they had returned to Chennai, abandoning the action schedule mid-way.
While Salman and producer, brother Sohail, lost around 12 days of shooting and incurred losses to the tune of Rs 25 crore in the interim, Salman has now decided not to work with the southern fighters at all.
A friend of the actor told Mirror: “Salman has decided to cancel their contracts. It is doubtful they will be given credits as they have hardly done any work on the film.”
The gripe of the south-based fighters had been that there were only three of them for every seven from Mumbai, and that they were being paid 50 per cent less than their Bollywood peers.
However, FWICE (Federation of Western India Cine Employees) President, Dharmesh Tiwari came out in support of Salman’s decision saying: “As per the All India Film Employees More >
Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; February 28, 2013)
Salim Khan has been fighting a pitched battle for intellectual rights over the Zanjeer remake, which stars Ram Charan and Priyanka Chopra.
The veteran, along with his creative partner Javed Akhtar, had demanded a compensation package of Rs 6 crore from the makers of Zanjeer 2.0 – Amit Mehra and Reliance Entertainment.
In fact, it’s been a while now since the duo, who wrote the script of the original Zanjeer, have been demanding royalty from the makers of the new Zanjeer.
The latest development being Khan has sent off a strongly-worded letter to the Scriptwriters Association in this regard. And, with the situation having turned rather ugly, the body has arranged for a meeting between the parties in question.
This newspaper has learnt that early next week, Salim-Javed will meet Mehra and officials from Reliance in the presence of senior members of the Scriptwriters Association, headed by FWICE (Federation of Western India Cine Employees) President Dharmesh Tiwari and General Secretary Dinesh Chaturvedi. The meeting is likely to take place at the FWICE office in Andheri.
A source close to Salim-Javed told Mirror, “All parties concerned have been informed and they have agreed to attend the meeting. FWICE wants the battle to end. FWICE will pull out all stops and make both parties see light. Such tussles in Bollywood are totally uncalled for.”
Meanwhile, director of the Zanjeer remake Apoorva Lakhia is fast finishing the More >
Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; January 25, 2013)
Apoorva Lakhia’s Zanjeer 2.0 has run into more trouble. A day after sending a letter to FWA (Film Writers’ Association), co-scriptwriter of the original version starring Amitabh Bachchan, Salim Khan has now gone to the FWICE (Federation of Western India Cine Employees) asking them to stop the shoot of Lakhia’s film until he is given Rs 6 crore royalty for the remake.
When contacted, FWICE Vice President, Dinesh Chaturvedi said: “We shall speak to Mehra and try to resolve the issue. Else we shall be compelled to stop the shoot. I am leaving for Ahmedabad and I shall speak to Mehra as soon as I return. I hope to find a solution.”
Bharati Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; December 12, 2012)
The shooting of Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Ram Leela was disrupted briefly on Sunday evening, after members of the Federation of Western India Cine Employees (FWICE) landed up on the set with complaints of non-payment of workers’ dues. Prem Singh Thakur from FWICE’s vigilance department said, “Payment has been pending for long. I had to go to the set as many workers had been complaining about it. They don’t file complaints fearing they would lose their jobs. Even their conveyance reimbursement was pending for some time.”
He adds, “I switched off the lights to get the producers’ attention. Mr Bhansali asked me what the problem was. I introduced myself and told him about the issue. He immediately called his production assistant and asked him to clear the dues.”
When we contacted Bhansali, he said, “There is no payment issue. The person who told you this is lying and has vested interests. You can come and check for yourself.”
And while Bhansali may have been in denial, his office has given in writing to FWICE that all pending payments would be cleared in a week.
Bharati Dubey (BOMBAY TIMES; October 20, 2012)
The shooting of singing talent show Sa Re Ga Ma Pa was held up for four hours on Thursday after Federation of Western Indian Cine Employees (FWICE) issued a non-cooperation diktat against the producers of the show for non-payment of dues to Himani Kapoor, a finalist on the show’s 2005 season. The singer claims that the producers owe over 2cr. She had filed a complaint with the Singer Association in 2007.
After shooting was stalled, the producers of the show called FWICE members and asked for a meeting on Monday. General Secretary Dinesh Chaturvedi said, “We did not stop the shooting but asked all our members to step out of the shoot. The shooting was held up for a few hours on Thursday. Also, if the singer’s payment is not cleared on Monday, we will restart the non-cooperation and this time, we will include the channel also.”
Himani’s father Sudhir explained their grievance, “The producers did not honour the contract they signed with my daughter for two music albums. She was also to get a certain percentage from the performances. We have been asking the producers to settle the account for a long time now.’’
BOMBAY TIMES (July 26, 2012)
Noted 70s filmmaker B R Ishara passed away on July 25 after a prolonged illness. Just a few days ago, his actresswife, the even-now quite attractive Rehana Sultan had called us to say how disturbed she was with media reports that said that the filmmaker, who had been inactive for nearly two decades now, had fallen on bad days. They further said that he was looking for support from outsiders to pay his hospital bills. “Such reports hurt,” said the lady.
“It’s not true. We’re not exactly on the streets and we don’t need help for his hospital bills. I’d like to have this clarification put out,” she said. Yesterday morning, she sent us the sad news of her husband’s demise. The cremation took place at Vile Parle.
Ishara did some noteworthy work in the period between 1969 and 1996. His repertoire includes Chetna, starring Rehana; a film that dealt with the rehabilitation of prostitutes and became a talking point for its boldness. He also directed Ek Nazar, one of the super-duds of superstar couple Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bhaduri. He was also the one who spotted Parveen Babi at a Gujarat university and suggested she make films her career. Our heartfelt condolences are with Rehana Sultan and the Ishara family.
—————————–Man who started trend of films on bold themes dead
Bharati Dubey (THE TIMES OF INDIA; July 26, 2012)
Mumbai: Writer-director B R Ishara passed away at a city hospital on Wednesday morning. He was recently diagnosed with More >
Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; July 21, 2012)
Senior filmmaker and FWICE (Federation of Western India Cine Employees) Vice President B R Ishara has been admitted to Juhu’s Criticare Hospital. It is learnt the filmmaker, who suffered a paralytic stroke last year, has been diagnosed with tuberculosis.
His wife Rehana Sultan confirmed the news and added, “Not so long ago, he was undergoing physiotherapy and now he has other health issues.”
Unfortunately, he is not in a good financial position either. FWICE President Dharmesh Tiwari said, “Ishara needs financial aid. Last time, FWICE helped him clear his bill at Kokilaben Dhirubai Ambani Hospital, where he was admitted. This time too, we will try our best. He is a very senior member of our Federation, and we love and respect him a lot.”
The last time round, Danny Denzongpa and the writers’ and directors’ associations of the industry had contributed to help Ishara pay his hospital bills.
The moody actor, known for doing as he pleases, has sacked Senthil, the DOP ofDabangg 2 within three days of the Arbaaz Khan film going on floors
Vickey Lalwani and Sonal Chawla (BOMBAY TIMES; March 19, 2012)
In the Hindi cinema industry, working on any Salman Khan starrer is not to be taken lightly. You are lucky if the actor likes you. Sajid-Wajid, Himesh Reshammiya and many others will tell you so. And if he doesn’t, then you may have to pay for it. Salman, who had earlier taken production calls for his films, has done it once again. Within three days of the film gong on floors, Arbaaz Khan’s maiden directorial has a replacement. Cinematographer Senthil Kumar (of Magadheera fame) has been asked to pack up. And Aseem Kumar, who had been working with Salman on Ek Tha Tiger had been asked to step in.
When contacted, Aseem confirmed that he has taken over Dabangg 2. The cinematographer said, “I don’t know why Senthil is not doing the film anymore. I got a call from Arbaaz Khan. He asked me if I was available to shoot for the film. I was glad to join the team. I start my work on Dabangg 2 from Tuesday. I have a great rapport with Salman Sir.”
Earlier, Senthil, who is regarded as one of the top-notch cinematographers in the Telugu film industry, was supposed to make his Bollywood debut with Dabangg 2. In fact, having seen his work down south, Arbaaz had specially asked him to work for his big-budget production. Excited about this, Senthil had in fact flown in much before More >
Hanumant Rao Patil, a notorious film federation employee disrupted the actor’s shoot and will now have to face the consequences for it
Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; March 14, 2012)
Nobody can ever dare to stop a Salman Khan shoot. But FWICE (Federation of Western India Cine Employees) guy Hanumant Rao Patil is surely an exception. Patil, a self-styled king (read mafia lord), who has been going on upstaging Bollywood shoots for the past few months and tormenting filmmakers in the Hindi cinema industry, recently stopped a commercial shoot featuring the actor that was taking place at Mehboob Studios in Bandra. In fact Salman was left cooling his heels in his vanity van. And this unpleasant incident has not gone down too well with the other members of FWICE.
Mumbai Mirror learnt that five days back, Patil barged in on the sets of the Salman Khan commercial. He stopped the shoot and asked Raman Lamba, who was in charge of the production, to cough up Rs 66,000. Patil stated that he heads the ‘Still photography Department’ of the FWICE. Since Lamba wasn’t registered with the institution, Patil asked him to pay up the required sum before continuing with the shoot.
Angry with Patil, the Vice Chairman of Allied Mazdoor Union, a part of FWICE, Prem Singh Thakur said, “Stopping Salman’s shoot is just not done. The same goes for any other shoot actually. FWICE is not here to inconvenience people. We don’t demand money from people. We resolve issues amicably. What Patil is doing is More >
Vijay Galani has filed a legal complaint after the film governing body FWICE asked him to stay away from production until he pays Rs 15 crore to the actor
Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; February 27, 2012)
Producer of the 2010 film Veer, Vijay Galani has taken his war against Salman Khan to the court. Galani, who was banned from filmmaking by FWICE (Federation Of Western India Cine Employees) following a complaint lodged by Salman with the film governing body, has filed a legal suit against FWICE a couple of days back. The case will be heard at the Dindoshi court today.
“The Non-Cooperation Directive issued against me is illegal. If it had to be issued it had to be in conjunction with AMTPP (Association of Motion Pictures Producers’ Association). But AMTPP has not endorsed it. I can make a film whenever I want to. This is sheer torture. I want to resolve this. I have done no wrong,” Galani told Mumbai Mirror.
The filmmaker was accused of not paying Salman Khan a sum of Rs 15 crore for the actor’s role in his 2010 production. The actor had then approached the FWICE, who in turn had passed the directive against Galani.
Galani had then told Mumbai Mirror, “Unnecessarily, people have accused me of not paying Salman his dues. I am clean. I know what I am saying. I have kept quiet for too long. Not anymore though,” and added, “Why doesn’t Salman talk to me if he has a problem? You know what, I have met him at least seven to eight times in the past and he has never mentioned More >