By Subhash K. Jha, October 29, 2010 – 11:17 IST
Maverick sound designer Resul Pookutty who was propelled to international fame with his skilled use of sound in Slumdog Millionaire is all set to turn director with a film starring Amitabh Bachchan.
Though Resul is reluctant to reveal details, it is apparently an emotional father-son story that Resul has been scripting for some time.
When asked about it Resul says, “It’s something that I’ve been toying with for a long time. But to turn director I need to set aside my work in sound and devote myself entirely to that one thing. At the moment, I’m working on the sound for my second international project after Slumdog Millionaire.”
The film entitled The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel to be shot in Rajasthan and other parts of India gives Resul a chance to work with the young Slumdog star Dev Patel once again. But it is the film’s director John Madden that Resul is most excited to be working with.
Says Resul excitedly, “I’ve been in love with Madden’s film Shakespeare In Love for years. And now I’m getting to work with him and some of the most accomplished British actors like Dame Judi Dench, Julie Christie, Tom Wilkinson and Peter O’Toole.”
Resul is the only Indian in the crew. “Fox Searchlight who had produced Slumdog Millionaire specially asked for me. It feels like a great honour. For the first time since Slumdog…I’ll be doing live sound mixing.”
With projects like these coming his way, Resul finds it hard to wrench himself into a different direction.
About his debut as director, Resul says, “It’s really too early to talk about it. But yes it is a very emotional father-son subject. I’m a great fan of the work of Ritwitck Ghatak and by extension a fan of Ghatak’s disciple Sanjay Leela Bhansali. My film would be from that school. I love the melodrama that underlines the life of characters on screen.”
Resul says he immediately thought of Amitabh Bachchan for the father-son theme. “You can’t blame me for thinking of the best, can you?” says the sound designer currently enjoying the success of his sound design in Robot.
By Bollywood Hungama News Network, October 29, 2010 – 09:58 IST
Superstar Rajnikanth’s animation venture Sultan – The Warrior has got a new twist. Being produced and directed by Rajnikanth’s daughter Soundarya Rajnikanth, the film has now been renamed as Hara with Rajnikanth appearing in live action role, apart from his 3D clone in the movie.
Initially, planned to be made in a complete 3D with the usage of advance technology like motion capture and a gigantic budget, the film is now going through a lot of creative changes.
It has also been learnt that KS Ravikumar will be co-directing Hara along with Soundarya and Bollywood diva Vidya Balan has been approached to share the screen space with Rajnikanth.
Hara is one of the names of Lord Shiva and is being executed at Soundarya’s own Chennai based animation studio ‘Ocher Studios’. We tried to reach the spokespersons at Ocher, but they were unavailable for comment.
Updates to come soon, stay tuned!
His “17-flop Guinness Book of World Records” quip at MAMI was merely a joke, he says
Three days ago, Prahlad Kakkar’s statement against Abhishek Bachchan at MAMI was the talk of the town. Kakkar, when attacking Bollywood’s nepotism, cited Abhishek Bachchan, saying, “Abhishek Bachchan has 17 flops in a row and is still going strong. He is unique and should be in the Guinness Book of Records.”
By evening on the same day, Abhishek had already retaliated to this bitterly via his tweet: “I love Prahlad Kakkar; he should be a stand-up comic not an ad-filmmaker. Maybe then someone will take him seriously! This coming from a man who makes commercials with his own son. Hmmm. Oh ya, Prahlad, I’m already in the Guinness book of world records and a very proud son. I hope you give your sons an opportunity to say the same someday.”
|Prahlad Kakkar||Abhishek Bachchan|
Kakkar’s outburst must have come as a big shock to the Bachchans since Kakkar has always had friendly relations with them, especially Aishwarya, with whom he shot many commercials in her early days.
Now, it turns out that Kakkar is in repentant mode, claiming that his comment was merely raillery and nothing vicious. Speaking to Mumbai Mirror last evening, the ad man said, “I am going to apologise to Abhishek.”
When we asked why, Kakkar nonchalantly said , “It was meant to be a joke. Abhishek is a very dear friend.”
Subah ka bhoola agar shaam ko ghar laut aaye, toh use bhoola nahin kehte. What say, Bachchan Jr?
As a generous gesture, Katrina is doing a cameo as Radha in a film on Krishna, which is being produced by her hairstylist. She isn’t charging this time
Till yesterday, she was a Barbie girl, in her Barbie world. And yes, life in plastic is fantastic. But now, Katrina Kaif is all set for a rather interesting makeover. She will play a cameo as Radha in a film on the life of Lord Krishna.
Though Kat did dress up like a mythological figure in the song Main bararish kar doon paise ki in the film De Dana Dan, playing Radha will be an entirely new experience for the actress.
The film called Main Krishna Hoon will be on the life of Lord Krishna, starting from his childhood Leelas (pranks) up to adulthood. The film is being directed by Rajiv S Ruia of My Friend Ganesha fame.
Not revealing much about the plot, Katrina says, “Let it be a secret. But yes, I am doing this film on the life of Lord Krishna because my hairstylist Promila Hunter is producing the film. When she asked me if I would make an appearance I didn’t even ask her what my role was. Only later did I get to know that it is a film on the life of Lord Krishna.”
|Kat with her hairstylist Promila Hunter|
Though she makes a guest appearance, Katrina who is currently in Patiala shooting for a Yash Raj film, is busy preparing for it. She is using all her free time to read up on the life of Lord Krishna.
Says the actress, “It always helps to know about areas of culture that you haven’t visited. A role could just be an excuse to brush up your knowledge of life outside the entertainment industry.”
Wonder who’s playing Krishna.
He will return as host on the third season of the TV show, but only on his own terms this time
As far as the show Dus Ka Dum is concerned, it seems Salman Khan is irreplaceable. The broadcasters of the show have realised this over time. Last week, they called up Salman and asked him to return to the show. And guess what? Salman agreed!
The acrimonious fallout that Salman had with the channel three months ago is over now. Next year, the superstar will return to the third season of the show as the host.
Explaining how it all happened, our source says, “The broadcasters told Salman, ‘Sir, we’ll do it as per your terms and conditions.’”
Apparently, a lot of efforts were made to get a replacement for Salman but all in vain. But you wonder if the broadcasters of Bigg Boss would be miffed if Sallu went back to Dus Ka Dum. Said the source, “Not at all. Salman doesn’t have a binding contract with them. He can always do Bigg Boss next year again if he wants apart from doing Dus Ka Dum.”
When Salman walked out of Dus Ka Dum early in August this year, which caused a delay in the third season of the show, it was supposedly because the channel was not inclined to give Salman a remuneration hike. At that time, Salman made it amply clear to the channel that he will return to the show again but strictly on his own terms.
According to insiders from the television industry, Salman had charged Rs 89 crore for the 104 episodes that were telecast in the first season of Dus Ka Dum. And for the second season of the show, the actor had reportedly asked for a decent increment of Rs 44 crore. But even that didn’t materialise. Then, Salman slashed his fee for the second season after the channel admitted a cash crunch as a result of the economic recession (Mumbai Mirror, August 4, 2010).
Says the source, “Considering Salman agreed to a fee cut in the second season, shouldn’t the channel telecasting Dus Ka Dum have given him a fee hike in the third season? Anyway, 10 Ka Dum is very dear to Salman; that was his first show on Indian television.”
Priyanka Chopra is taking a strong stand. The actress, who like others in the industry often signed movies on the assurance of directors and producers, has learned that the outcome on screen doesn’t always match the promises made in person. So, Priyanka is now asking people to only approach her with bound scripts of the movies they are planning to make. She has taken the decision that no matter how big or small the director is, she needs a script in hand before she signs contracts with them. She has apparently also shown some filmmakers the door as she is not ready to risk her career over word of mouth anymore. The buzz it that Priyanka’s firm decision may be stemming from her last film that got mixed reviews. Going by her past experience with the filmmaker and the relationship that she shared with him, Priyanka had agreed to do the film without getting into the script and how he planned to handle the subject. And the actress apparently wasn’t too happy with the outcome. However, the two still continue to have good relationship and Priyanka is supposed to do his next film based on Chetan Bhagat’s novel 2 States. Wonder if she has got a bound script this time from him.
An industry source said, “When corporatisation is the buzzword Bollywood, it is unacceptable on the part of filmmakers and actors to sign contracts without a script in place from the word go. So, what Priyanka is doing will work for her. She has good work in her resume and she doesn’t want anything to mess it up.” Priyanka is in Berlin, shooting for Don 2, and could not be contacted for a comment.
By Bollywood Hungama News Network, October 27, 2010 – 14:36 IST
It’s by far the most awaited and talked about sequel in Bollywood, to be produced by Ramesh Taurani and directed by Abbas- Mustan. Yes we are indeed talking about Race 2 which has been in the news ever since its announcement. is all set to thrill. The casting of Race 2 has been a hot topic in media for a while now. It was last head that Anil Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan and John Abraham are part of the project while Priyanka Chopra would be playing the female lead in the film.
However, times have changed and latest news is that Deepika Padukone will be replacing Piggy Chops in Race 2. Ramesh explains, “To be frank Priyanka was never actually in the film. Yes, we were in talks with her initially but due to date issues, since she is busy shooting for Don 2, we dropped the idea.”
Further he clarifies, “As of now we have finalized Deepika, who will be playing the female lead in the film. Apart from her, there will be two other actresses who will also be in the film, but they have not yet been locked.”
As for the script of the film, Ramesh chirps, “We have already finalized and locked the script, and are looking to start shooting next year. While for the music, it’s going to be Pritam.”
Race 2 certainly seems to be speeding its way to shoot floor.
By Taran Adarsh, October 28, 2010 – 16:17 IST
The process to launch the superstar from Tamil films has begun. Ram Gopal Varma is going all out to launch the second installment of RAKHT CHARITRA. The second installment holds a lot of significance since it stars superstar Surya in the lead. In fact, RGV has thought of a novel strategy to announce the arrival of Surya in Bollywood. Massive hoardings are coming up at strategic points in Andheri and Juhu with focus on Surya alone. However, it’s the caption that catches your attention: ‘After Robot The Rajni, it’s Surya The Ghajini’.
It may be recalled that Surya had enacted the main lead in the Tamil version of GHAJINI, which was remade in Hindi with Aamir Khan. In the coming 21 days, the promotions of RAKHT CHARITRA 2 are only going to go bigger and better.
By Bollywood Hungama News Network, October 28, 2010 – 14:40 IST
Verbal spats in Bollywood are nothing new. Almost every second person from the industry has been into some verbal spat or the other. Examples of this are dime a dozen in the industry.
The latest one is something which can be called as a most unlikely one. It started off with the celebrated ad man Prahlad Kakkar speaking at the Mumbai Film Festival. He started off at the forum saying “Why use a good actor when you can have a nephew? And if you have to create stars anyway, why not from the family? It is hence very difficult for men to become stars. But since Bollywood does not want their women to be in films, females have a better chance of becoming stars or starlets. Men stars are usually useless nephews and sons,” he said at a forum. No. he did not end there. He went on to ‘cite an example’ in the form of Abhishek Bachchan. He said, “Abhishek Bachchan has 17 flops in a row and is still going strong. He is unique and should be in the Guinness Book of Records.” Needless to say that, this statement garnered an uproarious laughter from the gathering.
Retaliating to this, Abhishek tweeted “I love Prahlad Kakkar, he should be a stand-up comic not an ad-filmmaker. Maybe then someone will take him seriously! This coming from a man who makes commercials with his own son. Hmmm. Oh ya, Prahlad, I’m already in the Guinness book of world records and a very proud son. I hope you give your sons an opportunity to say the same someday.”
Bollywood Hungama will update you with ‘further developments’, if any, that is!
By Subhash K. Jha, October 28, 2010 – 11:52 IST
If there is one guy out there in the entertainment industry who can put an end to all the speculation on the status of the Salman-Govinda relationship, it is David Dhawan.
David who has been closely associated with both Salman and Govinda, has done the maximum number of films with the two stars. He’s now in the process of bringing them together for the sequel to Partner.
But the problem is with the stories about the Partners‘ real-life rift. They are taking a toll on David. And he has decided to do something about the crisis. He is toying with the idea of hosting a party to celebrate the Salman-Govinda friendship.
“And why just the Salman-Govinda friendship? It will be to celebrate the Salman-Govinda-David friendship. I get very disturbed when I hear about their so-called rift. Arrey yaar, both are far above such bickering. Look at Govinda’s track-record. He has been at the top for decades. As for Salman, with Dabangg he has proved he is beyond all competition. I hate to see people talking about two of my closest friends in this negative way. So yes a party celebrating Salman and Govinda’s friendship and my friendship with them seems a good idea,” says David emotionally.
Says David, “I’m committed to direct a film Rascals for Sanjay Dutt Productions from next month. Dutt is one of my oldest and closest friends. The first film I directed had Sanju in it. Then I’m committed to directing Partner 2 for Salman Khan and Govinda. So my career is devoted to friends.”
Family would naturally have to look elsewhere. David’s younger son Varun is being launched as a leading man by Karan Johar.
Says David, “All I can tell you at the moment is that my elder son Rohit is directing his first film Desi Boyz and my younger son Varun is going to be an actor. I’d have liked to launch both in their respective careers. But I am committed to making films with my friends.”
Rascals will feature Dutt, who is one of David’s oldest and dearest friends, with Ajay Devgn and Kangna Ranaut. It will be a typical David Dhawan comedy.
Argues David, “Why not? Why open the car bonnet to check the motor when the vehicle is running just fine? When others are copying my style why should I move away from it?”