Check out Juhi Chawla on the sets of Sultanat
MUMBAI MIRROR (October 24, 2012)
She won the 1984 ‘Miss India’ title and among others, is best remembered for her role opposite Aamir Khan in Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988). At the time though, Juhi Chawla was already one film old in Bollywood, having made her debut with the 1986 movie Sultanat, written and directed by (late) Mukul S Anand and produced by Arjun Hingorani.
This picture was captured by ace lensman Jagdish Aurangabadkar during an outdoor shoot of the film that took place in the desert.
With sand dunes as the backdrop, Juhi is seen holding hands with her co-star Karan Kapoor as the couple face a menacing looking Sunny Deol wielding a sword.
Sunny played ‘Sultan’ in the film while Sridevi portrayed his love interest. Dharmendra’s eldest son had already entered films with the blockbuster Betaab, along with another debutant Amrita Singh. He had also starred in Rahul Rawail’s Arjun that proved to be a runaway hit. Sridevi on the other hand was a comparative newcomer and her voice had to be dubbed in the film.
For Shashi Kapoor’s son Karan, Sultanat was his first major movie. And though he acted in very few projects thereafter, including Loha (1987) and the British series, The Jewel in the Crown (1984), he modelled for premiere brands like Bombay Dyeing in the 80s.
Interestingly, Sultanat also starred Dharmendra as General Khalid and brought on screen the real life father-son duo of Dharmendra and Sunny, albeit as enemies.
It was director Mukul Anand’s third film after Kanoon Kya Karega and Aitbaar however his biggie Agneepath starring Amitabh Bachchan was yet to come. It was Arjun Hingorani who gave Dharmendra his first break in the 1960 film, Dil Bhi Tera Hum Bhi Tere. They shared a great equation and the actor starred in many films directed and/or produced by Hingorani. All said, while Hingorani chose to advertise Sultanat as “the picture destined to do minimum Rs 2 crore business per major territory’, it failed to make a mark at the BO.
- I wanted to get married to him-Neha Sharma
- Told my son that you don’t need six pack to become an actor-Sunny Deol
- Certain critics have loads of free time to think of me-Ameesha Patel
- I still get angry even today-Sunny Deol
- Check out plaster-clad Juhi Chawla on a wheelchair
- How Bobby & not Rocky was pampered rotten on YPD 2 sets
- Ranbir is a person who I can do anything for-Imtiaz Ali
- Aamir Khan lets Shah Rukh Khan enjoy the spotlight?
- Bollywood goes Yamla Pagla Deewana
- An ‘IPL’ day in the life of Shah Rukh Khan