For belly dancing, Rani needed more rounded than flat belly-Vaibhavi Merchant
Choreographer Vaibhavi Merchant on the different dances in Aiyyaa
Seema Sinha (BOMBAY TIMES; October 4, 2012)
Rani Mukerji, in her upcoming film Aiyyaa directed by Sachin Kundalkar, has performed dance numbers from different genres — a lavani for the song Sava Dollar, belly dancing for Aga Bai and went completely whacky and raunchy in Dreamum Wakeupum. Says
choreographer Vaibhavi Merchant, “The songs are the dreams and fantasies of a middle-class Maharastrian girl. I told her ‘let’s have a blast for this foot-tapping number’. Then Rani brought in the tamasha feel for lavani. She conditioned and trained her body for about four months before the shoot began. For the belly dancing number, I wanted her to be a little more rounded rather than have a flat belly. The movie demanded a lot of rigorous dance routines and Rani was a complete dhamaka.”
The choreographer says that she was also inspired by the sculptures of Khajuraho for the song Aga Bai. “This is the first time a woman is shown lusting for a man. The concept itself was very refreshing,” she concludes.
Aiyyaa, produced by Viacom18 Motion Pictures, releases October 12.
- Celebrated lensman Jagdish Mali passes away
- Timeless beauties who have romanced both father and son
- 80-films-old Prithviraj made to audition for the first time for Aurangzeb
- Is Rani Mukerji’s Mardani inspired by Tejasvini?
- Have oomph; will reveal one day-Parineeti Chopra
- Katrina Kaif turns down three item numbers due to her busy schedule?
- Huma can give Konkona a run for her money-Kannan Iyer
- Govinda on why ‘Rani Mukerji’ factor won’t come between him and Aditya
- Prithviraj was super hot in Aiyyaa-Swara Bhaskar
- Rani Mukerji in Pradeep Sarkar-YRF’s Mardaani