Salman Khan goes extra mile for Paralympic athletes
Aakansha Naval-Shetye (DNA; September 26, 2012)
While most actors are known to make the most of social networking sites to promote their films, Bollywood star Salman Khan is known to use them to garner support for the causes he believes in. So it was hardly surprising to see that the Bollywood star — who has close to 2,731,103 followers on the microblogging site Twitter and registered approximately 3,167,257 fan likes on Facebook — is making the most of the social networking site that he recently signed up on, to reach out to his fans seeking their support for the causes as well.
And one of the causes that he’s strongly taken up is showing support to the Paralympic athletes. The star himself has donated Rs 2.5 lakh to each of the nine athletes and Rs 5 lakh to the medalist, Girisha Hosanagara Nagarajegowda who bagged a silver in the Men’s High Jump event this year, as a gesture of appreciation. He has also asked his fans to support them in any way possible. The Khan even posted a message on FB that read: “As a gesture of appreciation for our Paralympic athletes, I would like to present each of the nine athletes Rs 2.5 lakh and Rs 5 lakh for the medalist, Girisha. They have done us proud. To my dear friends on Facebook, if you would like to add a contribution, let me know. Will work out a way to send in your contributions.”
When we contacted the actor about his lending support for the Paralympians, he said, “The Paralympics prove that ability overcomes disability. No praise is high enough for the athletes who overcome odds to compete at the highest level in sport.”
- Shah Rukh Khan-Salman Khan were shooting in Goa at the same time?
- Andaz Apna Apna 2 to go on floors?
- Salman Khan makes a comfort call to Sanjay Dutt’s daughter
- Sanjay Dutt bid adieu to his family and friends; goes to jail
- Sonakshi reaches event; but doesn’t come out of van due to Kangna?
- Celebrated lensman Jagdish Mali passes away
- Salman Khan’s Mental to see a change in name?
- Why Salman Khan did a cameo in Shahid Kapoor’s Phata Poster Nikla Hero
- Salman wanted me to become a man-Arjun Kapoor
- Salman Khan adopts 2,500 villages