I am usually approached to pen intelligent bakwaas-Mayur Puri
Lyricist Mayur Puri on penning the words for the double entendre-packed Dil Garden Garden, his rhymes, reasons and more…
Priyanka Dasgupta (BOMBAY TIMES; August 3, 2012)
Why write a song like Dil Garden Garden?
It’s just a naughty song. I don’t like songs that are very explicit. Songs usually go viral and an artiste has no control over it once it’s out in the market. Self-restraint is a better option. If my six-year-old son sings Bhaag DK Bose in front of my parents, they’d feel awkward, but not if he sings DGG.
So you prefer double-meaning lyrics to explicit ones?
I prefer songs that are fun, witty and humorous. On the surface, the song must not conjure up images that are harmful to a child. The raunchier double meaning can follow later on. A prime example of this would be Anand Bakshi writing Choli Ke Peeche. People might have thought that Bakshisaab had lost his mind! But then he followed it up with a line like Choli mein dil hai mera. I feel it was tougher for me to write DGG than Singh Is Kinng’s Teri Ore.
The most challenging songs you’ve penned…
My first solo Jaane kya Chahe Mann Bawra from Pyaar Ke Side/Effects with a kajri flavour. Then, I wrote Bheegi Bheegi for Gangster. It’s a cult Bengali track and both Pritam and Anurag (Basu) told me that if I don’t pen good lyrics, they would not be allowed to enter that state. Another tricky one was Love Mera Hit Hit for Billu. Farah Khan called up to say that I have to write the most idiotic lyrics! When I wrote the mukhda, she said it was too meaningful! Whenever I write too poetic stuff, Pritam sends back a message with crying faces. I too can write good poetry though I am usually approached to pen intelligent bakwaas. When people need good poetry, they go to Gulzarsaab, Irshadsaab (Kamil) and (Sayeed) Qadrisaab.
How has lyric-writing changed?
Earlier, there was clear-cut demarcation stating which singer will lend his voice to which actor. Today, multiple singers can sing for one hero in the same movie. This gives a lot of flexibility to the music companies but then nobody has any sense of belonging to the song. This model is working fine but in the process, all lyricists are becoming hookers. We are always aspiring to come up with great hook lines.
My plate is full for this year. I’ve penned the lyrics for ABCD — Any Body Can Dance, India’s first 3D dance movie. Then, there is Farah Khan’s Happy New Year and Sanjay Gadhvi’s Ajab Gazabb Love where I’ll be acting as well…
- I am ready for marriage, but Ankita Lokhande is taking time-Sushant Singh Rajput
- Salman Khan’s sis-in-law Malaika Arora Khan in Shah Rukh Khan’s Happy New Year?
- Check out Shah Rukh Khan shooting for Happy New Year at Cusrow Baug in Mumbai
- Shah Rukh Khan plays mastermind and Sonu Sood a hulk in Happy New Year
- Farah Khan wants Shirish Kunder to edit Shah Rukh Khan’s Happy New Year?
- Abhishek Bachchan saves himself from being stripped and thrown into pool?
- Shah Rukh Khan gets streaky for Happy New Year
- How Sonu Sood’s persistence impressed SRK, landed him a role in Happy New Year
- Check out new, exciting still from Happy New Year
- After choli ke peeche, item number in Subhash Ghai’s Kaanchi called Kambal Ke Neeche