I don’t need any camp!-Akshay Kumar
Aakansha Naval-Shetye (DNA; June 25, 2012)
The year’s begun on a rather good note for actor Akshay Kumar. All set to become a dad once again on the homefront, workwise, he’s already delivered his own two Rs100 crore babies back-to-back at the BO. “I am sure it matters, but I stopped letting these numbers bother me a long time back,” says the actor, who after a dip in his career graph last year, seems to have bounced back with a vengeance. And with six more films under his belt in the months ahead, ‘I’m raring to go’, he says, as we catch up with the star on the sets of his film.
You’ve had two back-to-back hits with Housefull 2 and Rowdy Rathore. Is there a sigh of relief?
Of course, I am happy that the films have worked, but you know how fickle Fridays are. I have stopped depending on them now. I do a film and move on.
But do hits like these make you want to play it safe when it comes to choosing your next films?
Hits make you aware of what the audience wants to see you do for sure. But more than wanting to carry it as a tag around my neck, I let these hits help me balance out safer bets with risky ventures more comfortably. But to be honest, I think, I would always find a way to take risks!
But action-comedy seems to have worked better for you than your intense roles, so won’t you completely be deviating more towards action and comedies again?
Action I will always be partial too, but I am already tapping films beyond that like Special Chabbis and OMG! Oh My God.
You have avoided falling into ‘camp-ism’ in this industry…
That’s because, I don’t need any camp! …I have a house to live in, very comfortably too, why would I seek camps elsewhere? (Laughs).
Does the Rs100-crore tag put added pressure on you each time?
You make a film and you want to make it work, but whether it will touch Rs100 or 150 or 200, that’s not what’s on your mind. Great if it does, great if it doesn’t! Rs100 crore or not, I remain the same, it’s the people around who change equations with me. But then those are people who don’t matter anyway.
Will there be a sequel to Rowdy Rathore?
Yes, I think so!
As a producer are you looking at any more international collaborations?
There are talks happening, but right now I am just busy with Oh My God. Ab direct heaven se collaboration hai (laughs).
- Sajid Khan, Jacqueline Fernandez call it quits?
- Tracing Vindoo Dara Singh’s journey towards notoriety
- Is Sonakshi Sinha Akshay Kumar’s most preferred heroine?
- OMG Oh My God: The script that changed my world-Ashvini Yardi
- After Rowdy Rathore, Akshay Kumar-SLB come together for Gabbar
- Sonakshi in bro Luv Sinha’s film; OMG director to helm
- To be an all-rounder feels really special sometimes-Akshay Kumar
- I am not used to being praised for my acting-Akshay Kumar
- As ABCD becomes hit, Prabhu Dheva turns rowdy on the floor
- The action in Boss will be my best till date-Akshay Kumar