Shirish Kunder’s 3D plans for Joker goes kaput
In the wake of 3D format films not doing well at the box office, the filmmakers have scrapped their plans to convert the film into 3D
Vickey Lalwani and Mehul S Thakkar (MUMBAI MIRROR; June 15, 2012)
While it was originally announced that Shirish Kunder’s Joker would be shot in 3D, Mirror has learnt of a change in plan. Earlier this week, it was decided the film starring Akshay Kumar, Sonakshi Sinha and Minissha Lamba and produced by Studios-Disney UTV would be in the regular 2D format.
Shirish Kunder confirmed the news and added, “The initial plan was for Joker to be the first 3D film with a big star. But that USP doesn’t hold anymore. Taking into account the recent responses to 2D versus 3D ventures, we decided to reach out to a wider audience.” Siddharth Roy Kapoor, MD, Studios-Disney UTV, said, “For a movie featuring a superstar (read: Akshay), the draw is more the star power and the content. We have seen this in case of many films over the past year that have clicked at the BO more for the film itself rather than the incremental business from 3D screens. Given this experience, we took a collective decision with Akshay, Shirish and his wife Farah Khan to complete Joker in the regular 2D format only.”
Apparently, 3D still has a long way to go in India. Even Rakesh Roshan, who had earlier envisaged converting Krrish 3′s 2D format into 3D told Mirror, “We shall take a decision in this regard only when we complete the entire shoot. Whether to incorporate 3D or not depends on the length of the film.”
Meanwhile, there is another twist in the tale of Shirish Kunder’s Joker. After Jaan-E-Mann, Kunder had been signed by Eros International for a superhero film for Rs 1 crore; a project that never took off. However, Kunder, who took four years on the script, had titled it Joker back then. When he started work on his film starring Akshay and Sonakshi, he felt Joker would be a more apt title. As the title belonged to Eros, he returned Rs 1 crore and got back the title from them. Kunder confirmed returning the signing amount to Eros International.
- Check out Akshay-Imran dubbing for Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai Again
- I was tense about putting my hand around Madhuri’s waist-Ranbir Kapoor
- Is Sonakshi Sinha Akshay Kumar’s most preferred heroine?
- Dhadkan 2 in the making
- Akshay Kumar-Sonu Sood bonding on the sets of Entertainment?
- Aamir Khan to join B-Town’s famous games night?
- Akshay Kumar to play Mithun Chakraborty’s role in Shaukeen remake?
- Emraan Hashmi-Kunal Deshmukh-UTV team up for an edgy thriller
- Ajay offers support to Ekta and her Eid release OUATIM 2?
- What good would Dilip Kumar’s love be without Madhubala?-Priyanka Chopra