Shanghai surprises Bollywood trade gurus
Despite doomsday predictions, with weekend collections of approximately Rs 12 crore, Dibakar Banerjee’s film is inching towards recovering its costs
Mehul S Thakkar (MUMBAI MIRROR; June 13, 2012)
Dibakar Banerjee’s Shanghai had critics going gaga over it. Though, trade pundits had hinted that the film may not get a blockbuster opening that is expected from an Emraan Hashmi venture, the weekend collection of approximately Rs 12 crore may force them to change their minds. In fact, trade analyst Amod Mehra predicted, “Shanghai will break even. That is for sure.”
However, according to the makers, the film has already recovered its cost. Distributor Rajesh Thadani, for one says it is the satellite rights that have helped its cause. “Though theatrical response to the film is not up to the mark, the satellite rights have helped it sail through,” said Thadani.
Mirror has learnt that the satellite rights of Shanghai have been sold for Rs 8 crore and the music rights for Rs 2.75 crore. Also, 20 per cent of theatrical rights have been sold for Rs 4 crore.
The producers claim that the film was made on a tight budget of Rs 19.5 crore. When asked how they managed to rope in Emraan Hashmi, Abhay Deol, Kalki Koechlin and Prosenjeet Chatterjee on such meager monies, producer Priya Sreedharan explained, “It is not right to compare a small movie to a big budget film. They have all done it for us for a good price. We are glad to have recovered costs.”
Incidentally, Sujoy Ghosh’s Kahaani starring Vidya Balan, had a similar start earlier this year. The film that opened to a small audience, with effective word of mouth publicity, went on to pull bigger numbers in the second week. Shanghai too has a week before Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s Ferrari Ki Sawaari takes over the theatres.
But that hasn’t managed to take away from director Dibakar’s happiness. “The film is doing great. In fact, today I was in a suburban multiplex with Emraan for the 3.30 pm show. There was 60 per cent occupancy,” he told Mirror.
- Shanghai surprises Bollywood trade gurus | NG
- Shanghai surprises Bollywood trade gurus | NG | Bollywood
- Ekta Kapoor sues Siddhartha Jain over Rock The Shaadi mess
- Abhay Deol to make his small screen debut as reality show host
- Celebrated lensman Jagdish Mali passes away
- Emraan Hashmi-Kunal Deshmukh-UTV team up for an edgy thriller
- I&B ministry summons Prosenjit Chatterjee to represent Bengali cinema at Cannes
- Ranbir is a person who I can do anything for-Imtiaz Ali
- I am living the male fantasy-Emraan Hashmi
- Emraan to let go of Bhatt film to accomodate a Balaji film?
- Raj Kumar Gupta convinces Emraan, Vidya to shoot song without cuts?
- Bhaag Milkha Bhaag to clash with The Lone Ranger