Irrfan turns nobel laureate for Italian filmmaker’s next
The actor will portray renowned Bengali economist Muhammed Yunus in Marco Amenta’s Banker To The Poor
Subhash K Jha (BOMBAY TIMES; June 11, 2012)
Barely has Irrfan Khan completed one big-ticket Hollywood project, the actor is already gearing up for his next international venture. After The Amazing Spider-Man, Irrfan will be seen in Italian director Marco Amenta’s Banker To The Poor. In case you are wondering, Irrfan will essay the central character of Nobel-prize winning Bengali economist Muhammad Yunus, who is credited with inventing the breakthrough concept of grameen (rural) bank.
Incidentally, after Paan Singh Tomar, Yunus will be Irrfan’s second biopic role. Prof Yunus’ awe-inspiring endeavour to help the poor procure micro bank loans without collaterals won him the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006. Apparently, the makers of the film zeroed in on Irrfan as the real-life hero of the downtrodden after they saw him play a Bengali ‘bhadralok’ in Mira Nair’s The Namesake.
Irrfan confirmed the news and said, “I have been in talks for that film for a long time. I have already given my consent.” However, he did not divulge any further details for contractual reasons.
A friend of the actor said, “The challenge here is to recreate a living character of such distinguished achievement. Irrfan will meet Muhammd Yunus and spend as much time with him as possible. When he played Paan Singh Tomar, he relied on his imagination. But playing Prof Yunus is a far bigger challenge since he is a much revered living personality. Irrfan will take a few months to get into the character.”
With Banker To The Poor taking off at the end of the year, Irrfan hopes to complete his homework by then.
- 3 movies old Nimrat Kaur attracts interest in international circles
- How stars prepare for their crucial scenes before the camera
- Help trickles in for Srivallabh Vyas
- Irrfan lands announced on the sets of Bullet Raja; plays Holi
- Huma Qureshi, Shruti Haasan have a thing for co-star Irrfan Khan?
- Irrfan Khan on his first production – Lunchbox
- Bollywood & imaginations of a mad ad world
- Bahut pehle milna chahiye tha-Big B to Vikram Gokhale on Nat’l Award
- I contemplated quitting films 12 years ago-Irrfan Khan
- I can’t direct a Bollywood film-Asif Kapadia