Kids called me Ruk Ruk Ruk Aunty-Tabu
MUMBAI MIRROR (June 8, 2012)
My first hit was Vijaypath. It was the foundation of my career and success. I will always remember the experience of making this film for reasons professional and personal.
The makers sort of knew that the film was going to be a hit. It had all the ingredients of a successful masala flick of the 1990s. And Anu Malik’s unforgettable music added to the script.
Kids started calling me ‘ruk ruk ruk aunty’ after its release. In fact, many still call me that. Everybody remembers the song. And more importantly, the outfit – the short red dress.
The happiest memories of my career are from Vijaypath. I was working with my childhood friend Ajay Devgn. He is my brother’s friend. We sort of grew up together.
However I had the most fun shooting the ruk ruk ruk number. Director Chinni Prakash was brilliant. He brought out the best in me.
I had started my career with Hum Naujawan in 1985 as a child artiste. After that, I went back to school to finish my studies. When I came back to the industry, I got two films – Pehla Pehla Pyaar (that was my first) and Vijaypath. I was shooting for both the projects simultaneously.
My producers had spent a lot on Vijaypath. Everything was being done on a big scale. It was one of the biggest films in those days. The film was shot in beautiful locations. It was well packaged.
And when the film released, all the hard work translated into success. I was enjoying the moment, not thinking much. People were talking about the film, the song… it was great. I did not go anywhere to check the response. The reactions came to me. People came and told me, “Money is being thrown at the screen. You must go and check it out.”
At that time, it gave me a huge kick. Ruk ruk ruk made me famous. That part of my life and me is very dear to me. I got loads of offers after that. David Dhawan offered me Saajan Chale Sasuraal. Everybody sat up and noticed me. I’ll never forget it.
- Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai: End of a don, and then, a new dawn
- After David Dhawan, now Rumy Jaffrey is out of Chupke Chupke remake?
- Tamil film rushes helped Yaami get Prabhu Dheva’s next
- Besides Suniel, only Ajay Devgn could have played Dev in Dhadkan-Dharmesh Darshan
- Bade Miyan Chote Miyan 2 on the anvil?
- Ajay sets out for Hyderabad for Suriya’s film event; lands instead at Ahmedabad
- Yaami Gautam picks Ajay Devgn over Sharman Joshi?
- Why Ajay Devgn is the most reliable actor in B-Town
- Ajay Devgn to bulk up for Prabhu Dheva’s film
- Sachin-Jigar: No ambition in this combination