Rowdy Rathore proves costly for Sanjay Leela Bhansali
His film is a blockbuster, but he has had to pay Rs 50 lakh in an out of court settlement to a music label for the track Chinta Ta
Kunal M Shah (MUMBAI MIRROR; June 5, 2012)
In a first for the Hindi film industry, producer Sanjay Leela Bhansali has dished out a whopping Rs 50 lakh in an out-of-court settlement with Hyderabad based music label Aditya Music that claims it owns the rights of the now famous song from Rowdy Rathore, Chinta Ta.
While the entire team of Rowdy was busy celebrating the film’s success, Bhansali found himself slapped with a legal notice from the music company over the super hit track. Wanting to steer clear of legal tangles, Bhansali opted for an out-of-court settlement, never mind the tag.
A source close to the film told Mirror, “Rowdy is a remake of the super-hit south film Vikramakudu. While Bhansali bought the rights of the film, he did not realise the rights of the song were with the music company. The number was recreated for Rowdy by Sajid Wajid. However, once the track started playing, Aditya Music sent a strong legal notice to Bhansali who took it to UTV. The production house made it clear they had nothing to do with all of this as Bhansali was supposed to make the film and deliver the first copy to them. Bhansali had two options: fight it out in the court or go for an out of court settlement. He chose the latter, agreeing to pay Rs 50 lakh in damages to the music company. The matter is now amicably settled.”
When contacted, Dayanand from Aditya Music simply directed us to the MD Umesh Gupta adding, “The issue is under discussion so I cannot comment.” Gupta meanwhile remained unavailable for comment. Even Sanjay Leela Bhansali remained unavailable despite repeated attempts to get in touch with him.
- Why Sanjay Leela Bhansali is being cautious with Mary Kom biopic
- SLB can’t afford to take rest despite ill & being on liquid diet
- Is Sonakshi Sinha Akshay Kumar’s most preferred heroine?
- Priyanka to place punching bag in her building; residents peeved?
- Ranveer’s facial buzz throws Lootera promotions out of gear?
- Deepika is the most beautiful woman in the world-Ranveer Singh
- Deepika Padukone unhappy about not being able to join Ranbir Kapoor?
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali & I share a Tom and Jerry relationship-Ismail Darbar
- So now people are deciding when Mental will release?-Sohail Khan
- Salman Khan’s Mental to release on Nov 22; a week before Ram Leela?