2 films of John-Anil to release within a week
Industry buzz is that it could prove to be a tad tricky. The question is who will blink first?
Hiren Kotwani (MID-DAY; May 31, 2012)
At a time when most Bollywood biggies avoid a direct clash at the box office, Anil Kapoor and John Abraham’s two new films — Race 2 and Shootout at Wadala, are all set to release within a week of each other next January.
Incidentally, John and Anil star in both films. In Sanjay Gupta’s encounter flick set in the late 1970’s and early ’80s, Anil plays Isaque Bhagwan while John plays the don Manya Surve. The other is Abbas-Mustan’s racy sequel to their 2008 thriller, also featuring Saif Ali Khan and Deepika Padukone. While the former is scheduled to release on January 18, the latter is slotted on January 25, to make the most of the Republic Day weekend.
The big overlap
A well-placed industry source close to both the actors tells HitList, “They’re conscious about maintaining a considerable gap between two films. Moreover, they’re cautious to avoid the promotion of one overlapping with that of another. Meanwhile, Abbas-Mustan’s film releasing a week after Sanjay’s makes things look a tricky for them.”
Also, both being quite big films and that too the early birds of the new year, there could be a possibility of them affecting each other’s business. Besides, neither producer would be willing to re-schedule their respective release.
As he explains, “Already, Ekta Kapoor has deferred the release of her Sanjay Gupta directed film by over a month. Initially, it was scheduled to open in cinemas on December 7. But with Sanjay’s police case (vis-à-vis the invite for the launch of the film) delaying the shoot and Aamir Khan’s suspense thriller Talaash postponed to November 30 has left Ekta with no choice but to push their film’s release to mid-January next year.”
At the same time, the Abbas-Mustan thriller too has been delayed, reportedly owing to Saif Ali Khan prioritising his home-production, Agent Vinod. As our source elaborates, “Initially, producer Ramesh Taurani was keen to release it in end November. Now he has decided to release the film before the Republic Day weekend.” What remains to be seen is which producer will blink first. The race is on!
- Saif making travel plans for Kareena’s birthday in September?
- The Censor Board’s guidelines for gaalis in movies
- Ekta’s never offered me a meaningless role-Rakshanda Khan
- Check out some of the best Bollywood star pictures of Jagdish Mali
- Ekta Kapoor sues Siddhartha Jain over Rock The Shaadi mess
- Etka Kapoor ropes in Sujoy Ghosh for a thriller?
- In Ekta’s absence, Tusshar plays perfect host at Shootout success party
- Certain critics have loads of free time to think of me-Ameesha Patel
- Buying luxury cars to celebrate film success latest fad in Bollywood?
- Saif Ali Khan would love to see daughter Sara on the screen?