YRF wants to remake Kahaani in English?
Aditya Chopra has asked the film’s producers for rights to the Vidya Balan starrer. He wants to remake it in English
Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; May 16, 2012)
It was a story of success – not just on celluloid but also at the box office. The Vidya Balan starrer Kahaani directed by Sujoy Ghosh did more than simply thrill the audience. It surprised industrywallahs with its simplicity. And now, Aditya Chopra seems to have set his eyes on the film. A few days back, Yash Raj Films entered into discussion with co-producers Jayantilal Gada and Sujoy Ghosh to obtain the rights of Kahaani. Mirror has learnt that Chopra is planning to make the 2012 hit in English now.
If sources are to be believed, the plan is to make this new project under YRF’s new foreign division helmed by Uday Chopra. A source close to the film, Kahaani however told us that the final decision is yet to be taken.
“It could even be under the YRF banner also. But Aditya surely wants the film. It’s a gripping script. The response at the ticket window is a proof of that fact,” said the source.
Kahaani, however has already become a franchise in demand. The film has been sold to Endemol for a Telugu and Tamil remake. The production house that has so far been making television shows will make its debut into the filmmaking business with these projects. The project to be co-produced by Sujoy Ghosh is slated to begin this September and the films may release in January 2013. Elaborating further on this venture, CEO Endemol India Deepak Dhar said, “Filmmaking was always on the cards and we are delighted to finally set out to actually do it. We are extremely excited about our first project, the remake of Kahaani, which will be in production soon.”
And now, Adi Chopra, who had worked on the script of Kahaani (he was thanked in the credits of the film) has claimed the English remake rights. And though the deal had not been sealed at the time we went to press, sources revealed that that the modalities were being fast worked out.
“If all goes well, we will soon get to see Kahaani in English. And that too from the Yash Raj Film banner,” added the source.
- Bollywood beauties on Day 1 of 66th Cannes Film Festival
- Soon watch films on your computer/phone/iPad one day before release
- Etka Kapoor ropes in Sujoy Ghosh for a thriller?
- I would have Amitabh Bachchan play any role-Baz Luhrmann
- There is something for every cinephile at 66th Cannes Film Festival
- How come me & Sasheh were not linked?-Arjun Kapoor
- I still get angry even today-Sunny Deol
- Aurangzeb’s story irks Delhi based construction company
- Vidya Balan to wear blue at Cannes which she just hates
- Shraddha’s decision to drop Aurangzeb for Aashiqui 2 turns the scales for her