Ajay & Kajol at the Loomba Foundation charity dinner
By Bollywood Hungama News Network, November 23, 2011 – 14:18 IST
Ajay Devgn and Kajol recently attended a charity event in London hosted by The Loomba Foundation along with Kajol’s sister Tanisha and Ajay’s business manager Kumar Mangat Pathak.
The Loomba Foundation’s ‘Educate a Widows Child in India’ Annual Charity Dinner was held at the Savoy in London and was attended by prominent industry leaders and senior politicians, including the British Deputy Prime Minister, Rt. Hon Nick Clegg MP as Chief Guest. The Guests of Honour included the acting High Commissioner of India, H.E Rajesh N. Prasad, the First Lady of the Republic of Gabon, Madam Sylvia Bongo Ondimba, Rt. Hon. Dr. Vince Cable MP, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills and Mrs. Cherie Blair, President of the Loomba Foundation.
The Loomba Foundation was established by Raj Loomba CBE and his wife Veena in the UK in 1997. It promotes fundamental freedoms and human rights of widows and their children around the world, raising awareness of the gross injustices widows face and seeking to remove stigmas associated with widowhood.
The Foundation raised over £300,000 at the event through the generosity of its sponsors and the fundraising activities on the night. Commenting on the occasion, Kajol said, “The plight of widows is unthinkable and without financial means, it is even scarier. Education is the only way forward”.
Cherie Blair, President of the Loomba Foundation, informed guests that the Foundation, which was established in UK in 1997, had so far educated 6,221 children of poor widows in India and supported 27,000 family members. Many of the students have already completed their studies after receiving scholarship for a period of five years or more. She added that the Foundation is currently educating 2,150 beneficiaries in 14 states in India.
She continued, “The issue of widowhood has remained unidentified and undressed until the recent research study revealed that there are over 245 million widows and 500 million of their children worldwide. We are proud that through our tireless campaign, the United Nations declared June 23 as International Widows’ Day last year”. Entertainment on the night included a dazzling performance by 100 school children, who performed and danced to the popular track ‘Jai Ho‘.
- Dinesh Patel sells off property to raise funds for Ajay Devgn starrer
- Ajay Devgn, Kajol planning to buy house in London?
- Sonakshi Sinha-Yaami Gautam in Ajay Devgn-Prabhu Dheva flick?
- Hrithik Roshan does a no-show for Sanjay Dutt?
- Sanjay Dutt bid adieu to his family and friends; goes to jail
- Ajay Devgn allows decade-old film Naam with his debut producer to release
- Ajay Devgn-Kareena Kapoor in Shabina Khan’s next?
- Ajay offers support to Ekta and her Eid release OUATIM 2?
- Suniel Shetty to play a bald baddie in Ajay-Prabhu film?
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge voted favourite film in 100 years