John Abraham’s first home production titled Vicky Donor
By Subhash K. Jha, November 9, 2011 – 11:36 IST
The big announcement this morning screamed Shoojit Sircar’s name as the director of John Abraham’s first home production. And the secret cast is out. The film Vicky Donor stars Ayushmann Khurrana and television actress Yami Gupta.
After Ranvir Shorey, Purab Kohli and Ranvijay Singh it is time for another vee-jay to rock the screen. Ayushmann Khurrana who is exceedingly active as a television anchor will now be seen on the large screen in Shoojit Sircar’s film, quirkily titled Vicky Donor. Ayushmann will be playing a Punjabi sperm donor from Delhi.
Director Shoojit Sircar has been researching the subject for the past three years.
Says Sircar, “Vicky Donor is not a serious take on the subject of sperm donation. I want to take a light hearted look at the taboo attached to infertility and artificial insemination.”
Ayushmann was chosen because of his popularity among the younger crowds. The ‘Roadies‘ winner who’s been anchoring several musical shows on television, has been meeting up medicals experts to study the subject of sperm donation. One of the top consultants in the field has been taken on board as the medical adviser for Vicky Donor.
Says the director, “Ayushmann and I have been meeting doctors and donors from Mumbai and Delhi since 2009. Ayushmann has an immediate connect with the younger generation. For the part of Vicky, I wanted a face that was easily identifiable and yet unexposed in cinema.”
Ayushmann plays a Punjabi cricket player-sperm donor in love with a Bengali girl, to be played by television actress Yami Gautam (from the soaps Chand Ke Paar Chalo and Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam).
Ayushmann Khurrana says he has been studying acting. “I attended theatre workshops with Prof N. K. Sharma in Delhi to get that ‘Dilliwala’ feel. It wasn’t difficult since I am from the North.”
Ayushmann claims to have turned down 3 films in favour of Vicky Donor, “because of the unique subject and the director’s credibility.”
What one would like to know is, would Ayushmann consult fellow-VJ-turned-actor Purab Kohli who recently played a sperm donor in Onir’s film?
- Fed up of frequent bans producers’ body sends protest letter to I&B Ministry
- I too had thought of eloping several times-Shoojit Sircar
- Remo DSouza to make film for Karan Johar; John Abraham to be the lead?
- Actors who first made their appearances in popular Indipop songs
- People look for escapism in alcohol & drugs. Why not escape into world of fitness?-John Abraham
- Cinematograph Act all set to get a makeover
- Asin to throw a star-studded birthday bash; industry smells ‘self promotion’ tactics?
- John Abraham shoots with a 30-ft tall statue of himself for Welcome Back
- I want to be Aaradhya’s confidant, friend, bodyguard-Amitabh Bachchan
- Woody Allen pulls Blue Jasmine from Indian cinemas over anti-tobacco ad