John Abraham’s first home production titled Vicky Donor
By Subhash K. Jha, November 9, 2011 – 11:36 IST
The big announcement this morning screamed Shoojit Sircar’s name as the director of John Abraham’s first home production. And the secret cast is out. The film Vicky Donor stars Ayushmann Khurrana and television actress Yami Gupta.
After Ranvir Shorey, Purab Kohli and Ranvijay Singh it is time for another vee-jay to rock the screen. Ayushmann Khurrana who is exceedingly active as a television anchor will now be seen on the large screen in Shoojit Sircar’s film, quirkily titled Vicky Donor. Ayushmann will be playing a Punjabi sperm donor from Delhi.
Director Shoojit Sircar has been researching the subject for the past three years.
Says Sircar, “Vicky Donor is not a serious take on the subject of sperm donation. I want to take a light hearted look at the taboo attached to infertility and artificial insemination.”
Ayushmann was chosen because of his popularity among the younger crowds. The ‘Roadies‘ winner who’s been anchoring several musical shows on television, has been meeting up medicals experts to study the subject of sperm donation. One of the top consultants in the field has been taken on board as the medical adviser for Vicky Donor.
Says the director, “Ayushmann and I have been meeting doctors and donors from Mumbai and Delhi since 2009. Ayushmann has an immediate connect with the younger generation. For the part of Vicky, I wanted a face that was easily identifiable and yet unexposed in cinema.”
Ayushmann plays a Punjabi cricket player-sperm donor in love with a Bengali girl, to be played by television actress Yami Gautam (from the soaps Chand Ke Paar Chalo and Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam).
Ayushmann Khurrana says he has been studying acting. “I attended theatre workshops with Prof N. K. Sharma in Delhi to get that ‘Dilliwala’ feel. It wasn’t difficult since I am from the North.”
Ayushmann claims to have turned down 3 films in favour of Vicky Donor, “because of the unique subject and the director’s credibility.”
What one would like to know is, would Ayushmann consult fellow-VJ-turned-actor Purab Kohli who recently played a sperm donor in Onir’s film?
- Directors who got second chance post forgettable debut
- John Abraham turns his attention to ad films
- In Ekta’s absence, Tusshar plays perfect host at Shootout success party
- Next Shootout film to have Abhishek Bachchan, John Abraham?
- Priyanka Chopra buries the hatchet with Prakash Jaju?
- Ayushmann Khurrana behaving like Shah Rukh Khan?
- The audience doesn’t care if an actor is related to the producer-Tusshar
- John Abraham gifts Yamaha bike to Sanjay Gupta
- Kangna Ranaut’s brilliant hat-trick as gangster’s moll
- 100 years of Indian Cinema: Mahesh Bhatt on 18 great filmmakers