Rahman to form band with Jagger
Dave Stewart, Ross Stone and Damien to be part of the music group too
Prithwish Ganguly (BOMBAY TIMES; May 23, 2011)
The name of the band itself is a give away… it’s called Super Heavy! And, yes, the band has some of the biggest names in the international music space — Oscar-winner AR Rahman, Sir Mick Jagger, Bob Marley’s youngest son Damien, who has won three Grammys already, musician, songwriter and record producer Dave Stewart and the acclaimed Ross Jones. The band will soon come out with an album and a world tour is also on the cards. This is definitely the biggest development in the music space at the moment.
AR Rahman spoke exclusively to BT, “We are very excited! Each one of us has something different to offer musically. We started discussions on this more than a year ago and we are glad that we could do it. Around 16 to 18 numbers are ready.”
So will they explore diverse genres of music? “The band aims at uplifting people’s emotions and so the music will be a mix. We are all bringing in our own sensibilities and philosophies of music to create something new. It is a creative process.”
Bands have always caught Rahman’s fancy since childhood. “When I was young, I used to play covers of different bands but this one is the real deal. They are all luminaries in their fields and working with them is a lot of fun. We have had sessions together to work on our numbers and we compliment each other very well,” he says. The composer adds that Indian sounds will be very significant in this band’s music. “But it’s too early to say anything right now. We would want people to listen to our album,” he says.
- In 1999, I was drawing over 50 lakh p.a.-Sujoy Ghosh
- Chitrangda Singh lookalike in B-Town
- Don’t know why people pull me down-Mallika Sherawat
- Don’t brothers fight?-Sanjay Dutt
- Aamir mamu is like James Bond-Imran Khan
- Want to take action to another level-John Abraham
- Rascals: Jr Prankster meets Sr Prankster
- I wont go nude-Shakti Kapoor
- Payal Rohatgi to marry Sangram Singh?
- Anu Malik’s solo judge plans ruined