The rise of the Casanova in Bollywood
With three films this year, B’wood has caught the ‘roving eye’ bug
One man. Many women. This seems to be the trend in Bollywood this year. Casanova seems to have taken over the industry’s leading men.
While Ranveer Singh, after his successful debut in Band Baaja Baaraat last year is all set to romance a bevy of beauties in Maneesh Sharma’s Ladies Vs Ricky Behl, John Abraham fresh out of his long term relationship will now don the image of the man with a roving eye in Kapil Sharma’s Ishaan.
And that’s not all, the much married Abhishek Bachchan, too, will shed his one-woman man image for Rajkumar Santoshi’s rom-com Ladies And Gentlemen.
The Casanova story in Bollywood can be traced back to Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s Jurmaana decades ago.
After Big B kick started the entire trend, Aamir Khan followed suit in Mann. Infamous for his off-screen bad-boy image, Ranbir Kapoor revived the trend with Siddharth Anand’s Bachna Ae Haseeno in 2008.
This year, the trend seems to have taken over many a director from the industry. Ranveer’s Ladies Vs Ricky Behl, in keeping with the actor’s image from his last film came as no surprise to most of us.
However, John’s film Ishaan which is being described in the industry circles as “Bachna Ae Haseeno on steroids” did shake us up a bit. Prachi Desai and Chitrangada are the two women he will be romancing in the film. And the filmmakers are looking for more.
Even though Abhishek Bachchan will have his real life wife Aishwarya on his arms by the end of the Raj Kumar Santoshi film, she will have to wait in line with all the other hot ladies drooling over Jr B namely, Bipasha Basu, Vidya Balan, Preity Zinta, Sonam Kapoor and Sushmita Sen.
With these three men trying to charm so many women this year, we wonder who will finally succeed in wooing the audience.
- What I like about my father is how much he loves my mother-Sonam Kapoor
- Big B returns from Cannes; records for Maharana Pratap
- Ishkq In Paris has taught me a lot about cinema-Preity Zinta
- Fenil’s Bollywood Talk # 257
- Aamir Khan, Salman Khan in a cameo in Phata Poster Nikhla Hero?
- I finally discovered Ranbir Kapoor…-Deepika Padukone
- Sabyasachi Mukherjee blasts critics; defends Vidya’s Cannes look
- Aamir Khan to speak only in Bhojpuri in P.K.?
- Gunday meets Rambo Rajkumar in Panchgani
- Siddharth to join Vidya after Cannes Film Fest for a French tour