I love the ‘luv storys’-Sammir Dattani
Sammir Dattani’s on cloud nine. The actor is super thrilled with the audience’s response to his latest release I Hate Luv Storys (IHLS). Sammir, who made his debut with a Rajshri film and was later seen in the critically acclaimed Mukhbir, is very pleased with the was his career is shaping up. Earlier this year he was seen in Shyam Benegal’s Well Done Abba, and in his recent release, he wears his heart on his sleeve to woo his lady love Sonam Kapoor in style.
A Shyam Benegal film and a Karan Johar release in the same year has been extremely exciting for him. “Last year I told a friend that I want to do a Dharma film and work with Sonam Kapoor. I didn’t expect both things to happen together,” he says.
Speaking about his character Raj in IHLS, he says, “Who would not like Raj? He’s your quintessential lover boy and a perfect catch. Sonam and I play Raj and Simran — the perfect couple a la Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. That was really special since DDLJ is among my all time favourite romantic films.” So did he take inspiration from Shah Rukh Khan for his character? “No, I play an investment banker. He comes from a corporate background, dresses formally. Also our director Punit Malhotra knew exactly what he wanted so I didn’t need to look anywhere for inspiration. But yes, I do go down on my knees and sing Tujhe dekha to yeh jaana sanam to Sonam in our opening scene. I was so anxious about the idea of singing impromptu on screen,” he laughs. Remembering the shoot, he says, “The fun element was always high during the shoot. We were all pretty much a bunch of youngsters on the set having fun and working very hard at the same time.” This year has been good, and Sammir is looking ahead for the things that are in store ahead. “I have already had two great releases and got two more coming later this year, which also includes a South film,” says the actor who has many hits to his credit down South. But right now he’s basking in the love that IHLS has garnered. As far as his own love story goes, he says, “Well what’s life without love, I’m the guy who ‘loves’ love stories, but I have to add we don’t match our clothes!”
BOMBAY TIMES (July 4, 2010)
- I find Sunny Deol’s shyness cute-Kristina Akheeva
- Shah Rukh Khan’s bodyguard hired for Ranbir Kapoor?
- I can’t handle screaming and shouting-Sonam Kapoor
- Shah Rukh Khan-Salman Khan were shooting in Goa at the same time?
- No Baazigar sequel without Shah Rukh Khan-Ratan Jain
- Danny Denzongpa to make comeback with Hrithik Roshan-starrer Shuddhi?
- I was tense about putting my hand around Madhuri’s waist-Ranbir Kapoor
- No director today comes anywhere near Satyajit Ray-Mrinal Sen
- Bollywood beauties on Day 1 of 66th Cannes Film Festival
- As a kid, I thought Nargisji was my grandmother-Ranbir Kapoor